Toastmasters International

Social Icons

  • facebook
  • Sign up as member
  • Get Free ticket
  • email

My sharing.....

Hi friends,

I just want to share with you my experience, all in all from preparation to presentation, of the ice breaker speech.

I was officially admitted to the club on September 10, 2009. The first time I joined as guest of Metro, I felt that people here are so friendly and warm. My plan is to visit different clubs first but Metro pals did a great job in welcoming guest that made me come back and sign for membership. The tagline speaks for itself thru its member, "The friendliest club in town". Learning with friendly people is indeed a worthwhile activity to spend my time with, and laughter is the best de-stressing agent. Upon my acceptance to the club, I was right away encouraged by members to prepare and present my first speech. Most of the officers, if not all, gave their utmost support like giving me a guideline for the first project since I don't have my manuals yet, giving me tips on what to write thru emails and calls, and of course the assuring words that "you can do it" was generously uttered for me.

I thought the speech will be easy to write since I know the subject matter. But the real challenge is what to share with people given the time limit of six minutes where they'll get a grasp of who I am. I started reminiscing my life as far as my childhood. I've realized I still have a sharp memory in my almost three decades of existence! My pen kept scribbling on papers, papers which I took from Vistana hotel during our meetings. At first, I can't think of anything then I decided to write facts about myself. For several days, I will think something interesting about myself then I'll write it down. I ended up writing six pages back-to-back. I tried to read it taking down how much time it'll take. I have to trim down and refine what I wrote to fit the time limit allowed. Then I let a few people read what I wrote and asked their feedback. Too bad that I haven't had the time to send my writing to my mentor since it was written on paper and I didn't have the chance to type it. The final writing was completed only two days before my actual presentation. I benefited in the process of recalling experiences, people, blessings, and I am enlightened to get to know myself again.

When I learned that I'll speak before a joint meeting. I had goose bumps which I normally get when I am introduced to a guy whom I admire (when I was younger)! Speaking in front of people you already know is already a challenge in itself, what more in front of strangers? I thought to myself that this is just the start of the journey and along the way there would be far greater happenings than this. If I give up at this early point and don't take the challenge, how will I be able to take the future projects? You see there are many questions on my head, but I believe that if I do my assignment and prepare for this, I can make it. I imagine the soldiers going for battles without training, for sure they'll be defeated. So I did the best that I can, whatever skill I currently have I put it in use. I know I still have a long way to go before I reach the skills of the people I look up to but I'll get there.

Before the meeting I wasn't comfortable to see a huge crowd. The first part of the meeting I must admit that I am not in full attention to what was happening as I sneak through my speech. Good thing refreshments came first before the speech presentation. It was not just my grumbling stomach that was satisfied but also my conversations with the people released some of the tension in me. They know how to smile after all, it's not just that evident during the meeting as they might be attentively listening which is part of the training in toastmasters. I was the first to speak which I prefer so I will not be intimidated by people who is ahead of me. A really good thing for me because the succeeding speakers are really really good. I proceed on delivering my first speech to the best of ability and although I am nervous I enjoyed what I did. And what can I say, well I would like to move on with my second speech, third, fourth, and so on. I appreciate all the votes given to me, now I don't have to spare a penny on Dale Carnegie's book.

For those who haven't done their first speech, please don't get me wrong I didn't mean to discourage. Yes it is challenging but rewarding. And I'll assure you its fun and totally liberating. Take it as knowing someone who is closest to you, yourself. :)

According to the manual, I don't have to say thank you after the speech but really I thank you for lending me your ears. :)

- Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sign up Now

Follow these simple steps:

1. One-time joining fee: RM 120
2. Membership/recurring Fee (every 6 months): RM200
3. Transfer your total payment to *

METRO TOASTMASTERS INT
MAYBANK
014011477070

5. Send your payment detail to metro.toastmasters@gmail.com or whats app to our Treasurer, Kwong (+6019-3388928)

* New member will have to pay RM320 to sign up with Toastmasters International and thereafter semi-annually RM200.

or Join as a Guest

Join as a guest in our next meeting, and see for yourself. You can decide to become a member later.

Eventbrite - Metro Toastmasters Regular Meeting - Oct 2016

Meeting Calendar

Meeting Information

Every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the Month
Time: 7:00 - 9:30pm.
Fellowship starts at 7:00 pm
Venue: Edufly Aviation Academy, 5th Floor Wisma Naza, Jalan 12 Sungai Besi, 57100 Kuala Lumpur

You may contact our member for assistance:
President: Dexter (+6011-28078494)
VP Public Relation: Pierrick (+6017-6440087)
Secretary : Victor (+6016-2101436)

Google Map

szablony wordpress