Toastmasters International

Social Icons

  • facebook
  • Sign up as member
  • Get Free ticket
  • email

Let's Speak up

Abraham Lincoln said "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubts". How interesting !

I grew up in a typical Asian culture.
When I was a child, I was told to be quiet at almost anything
I was told to be quiet when elders are talking;
I was told to be quiet at public places;
I was told to be quiet at school;
I was told to be quiet all the times so much so that I have the impression that being quiet is a good thing to do and speaking up my mind is a bad thing to do.

While that has made me become more adaptable and tolerant to my surrounding,
I realised in later years that being quiet has put me in great disadvantage in corporate world.

Because I was not used to speaking up my mind,
I tend to be quiet in meetings;
I tend to keep ideas to myself and;
I tend to accept whatever is being said.

Because I was not used to speaking up my mind,
I didn't have the courage to converse with superiors;
I didn't have the courage to ask questions;
I didn't have the courage to challenge ideas.

Because I was not used to speaking up my mind,
I tend to remain silent and let other people thought I am a fool than taking the risk to open my mouth.

Then I realised I shouldn't be that way.
In order to progress,
I realised that I must change;
I realised that I must speak up;
I realised that I have Toastmasters Club, which has given me the platform to practice speaking up.

Let's take the opportunity and make use of the time in Toastmasters meeting to speak up.

Let's speak up!

From President of Metro Toastmasters International club
13 Aug 09

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sign up Now

Follow these simple steps:

1. One-time joining fee: RM 120
2. Membership/recurring Fee (every 6 months): RM200
3. Transfer your total payment to *

METRO TOASTMASTERS INT
MAYBANK
014011477070

5. Send your payment detail to metro.toastmasters@gmail.com or whats app to our Treasurer, Kwong (+6019-3388928)

* New member will have to pay RM320 to sign up with Toastmasters International and thereafter semi-annually RM200.

or Join as a Guest

Join as a guest in our next meeting, and see for yourself. You can decide to become a member later.

Eventbrite - Metro Toastmasters Regular Meeting - Oct 2016

Meeting Calendar

Meeting Information

Every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the Month
Time: 7:00 - 9:30pm.
Fellowship starts at 7:00 pm
Venue: Edufly Aviation Academy, 5th Floor Wisma Naza, Jalan 12 Sungai Besi, 57100 Kuala Lumpur

You may contact our member for assistance:
President: Dexter (+6011-28078494)
VP Public Relation: Pierrick (+6017-6440087)
Secretary : Victor (+6016-2101436)

Google Map

szablony wordpress